Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Very Good Place To Start

So, I've finally managed to figure out:

A - what a blog is
B - how to register one
C - what to call it (thanks to my curry buddy for the suggestion)

One minor detail is still unclear to me though. What on earth am I going to write about? And would anybody even read it? More importantly, does it matter?

So, to quote Maria von Trapp, let's start at the very beginning - a very good place to start.

I'm an Afrikaner from Riebeek-Kasteel in the Western Cape. The same place Jan Smuts and D.F. Malan used to call home. A lot of history there but more importantly, the town outside which the Allesverloren farm is situated. Producers of the finest port in SA if not the world. I'm not going to get involved in the whole "If it's not from Portugal, it's not Port" debate. Who cares? It's good stuff. It's how I managed to get a decent increase for the last couple of years. A carton of reserve port makes its way to my boss' office in Johannesburg amazingly around the same time they start considering increases. Don't judge me - we all have done shameful things in the past. Some of us still do - at least I think so.

At this point I've now gone completely off the garden path. But hang in there; it should make sense at some point.

In May last year I decided to radically change my life - The Secret had nothing to do with it. Come to think of it, neither did the annual case of Port. I decided to say goodbye to Cape Town, my family and 1 friend and move to Jo'burg. Along with my newly acquired VW Polo and my 8 year old miniature Maltese poodle, Snuggles, we hit the road to Jozi. See, I've already picked up the lingo.

The next 11 months have been the most frightening of my life. But also the most exciting. I found a nice place to stay, the job is fairly ok and the people I've met have made things a lot easier. Some of them have even become friends. Including the golf manic Afro Welshman who has inspired the birth of this blog. And the "not a Kugel" from Primrose who along with her mom has become Snuggles' full time babysitters when I need to travel. The world is filled with good people indeed; a few of them actually live in Jo'burg. I thought they were all in Orania.

Jo'burg or Bust will follow an Afrikaner girl's adventures in the big, bad city. And if at some point it will get the better of me. Hopefully it will be funny at times; maybe at times you'll take pity on me and invite me to dinner again. For those not in Jo'burg, it will be a great way to stay in touch. Please share with your friends if you aren't embarrassed by the quality of the writing. More importantly, if you are a stranger who happened to come across this and live in Jo'burg - let's keep it that way. No offence but unless you can organise rugby and cricket tickets for me, I'm good on the friend front. Ok, I'm not. So post something, introduce me to your great city. Perhaps just not in person.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Love it dahl! Welcome to blogging! Been doing it for about 2 yrs myself now I think. Something like that...

;o))

Nik Eveleigh said...

Nice work on starting the blog - I'm flattered that the mindless drivel on my page played a part in it happening.

Will look forward to reading about your Jozi adventures, and look on jealously as your subscriber list soars past mine...hehe

As for whether or not people want to read it - if you write it...they will come...